Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The New NHL

While the new NHL has its fair share of detractors, I'm definately not one of them.

I think that the NHL has done quite a bit to open the game and it will be interesting to see how it impacts the game. Unfortunately, too many people beleive that the game will be instantly open and flow beautifully at the first drop of the puck; I don't think they could be any more wrong. If the officials call the game like they should, the game will be incredibly slow. Penalties will be dished left and right. Towards the end of the first season, if the referees are persisitant in calling the game properly, we will see fewer penalties and only then will the beautiful flow be prevalent. For the officals to keep calling the game tightly, even at the expense of an initial slow-down, the fans, coaches, and players cannot start ranting about it. Its happened in the past (i.e. when those obstruction rules first came about).

I was enthralled by the Draft Lottery Festivities on Friday (July 22). It was quite a suspenseful 30 minutes, though I imagine this was only perpetuated by the fact that my team recieved the thrid overall pick. I wish the NHL had a little more fanfare with teh unveiling of the new shield. I like the shield, though I will miss the orange. At least they are still the sole league of the four major sports to have colors besides red, white, and blue. I first saw it on NHL.com, which suprised me. I would have thought Commissioner Bettman would have had some sort of unveiling with a velvet curtain and all. Thats ok, my team still got third.

I probably could continue with my banter, but then I wouldnt have anything to post on another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home