Wednesday, July 27, 2005

You Be the GM

So the News & Observer had a pretty nice "You be the GM" worksheet in Tuesdays sports section. I finally got around to filling out a roster with what they provided.

Staal, Brind'Amour, Hedican, A. Ward, Wallin, Gerber and C. Ward are all under contract already. I decided to keep them. I bought out Frantisek Kaberle for $865,640. He wasnt worth paying the $1.2 million. I took liberties with Ladd and our next Draft Pick since Rutherford was hoping to get a guy who was ready to play. Paid the max just in case.

POS. PLAYER SALARY

C Eric Staal $942,000
already under contract

C Rod Brind'Amour $3,800,000
already under contract

C Matt Cullen, $688,800
The price is right for having him as a 4th line center. Dont really know too much about him.

C Jason Allison, C $1,800,000
Though hes being pursued by the Oilers and Leafs, I still think we have a chance at him. Definately worth the risk.

LW Kevyn Adams, $718,200
No brainer here. Kevyn is the epitome of what a hockey player should be, and is absoluteley invaluable to this team

LW Josef Vasicek, $1,140,000
Big Joe did so well on the wing last year, but can fill in as a center if need be.

LW Ryan Bayda, $450,000
If I remember correctly, He is Lowell's leading goal scorer. So we know hes not crap. Hes a steal for a 4th liner at under half a million.

LW Jeff Friesen, LW $2,400,000
Hes a bit pricey, but I've been very impressed with his play. I think he could provide a little more offensive flair we lack on the left wing

RW Erik Cole, $1,140,000
another no brainer, Cole had done really well in Europ of the past year garnering enough respect to win the Playoff MVP of the league he palyed in. He excelled in the World Championships under Coach Laviolette. I hear he stays on his feet now.

RW Justin Williams, RW $941,441
Willie did really well when he came here in the last season. He fit into this system nicely. If hes not back I'd be suprised.

RW Mariusz Czerkawski, $800,000
Caerkawski has two thirty goal seasons underhis belt, both under Coach Laviolette during his time with the Islanders. He did well last season so you know hes not tanked. Pretty good bargain if you ask me.

RW Darren McCarty, $900,000
This will probably be difficult to pull off because he is hesitant to relocate his family. He'd bring a little more grit to the ice, which I wont object to.

F Andrew Ladd, $850,000
I'm breaking from the criteria, Ladd isnt on the sheet, but I think he'll be signed. He wont be pressured as much as Staal was, but I think he has his place in this club. I gave him the rookie max jsut to be safe.

Forward subtotal= $16, 570, 441

POS. PLAYER SALARY

D Bret Hedican $2,432,000
already under contract

D Aaron Ward $1,520,000
already under contract

D Niclas Wallin $836,000
already under contract

D Adrian Aucoin $2,800,000
Recently I heard he still wanted to play for the Islanders, but I pray Laviolette can woo him down south.

D Alexei Zhitnik $1,600,000
I'd like to steal him from the Sabres. He typically gets 20+ Assists from the blueline.

D Glen Wesley, D $1,300,000
Hes getting old, but hes still very consistent. He can bring the leadership for the younger guys like St. Jaques.

D Brian Rafalski $3,200,000
He has an offensive flair, which perpelxes me as to why he was able to survive with the Devils for so long. Fewest assist was 27 in his rookie year.

D Bruno St. Jacques, D $450,000
He's still developing but I think he can take on a minor roll for the club.

G Martin Gerber $1,064,000
already under contract

G Cam Ward $570,000
already under contract

Defenseman subtotal $15, 722,00
-------------------------------------------------------

Forward subtotal= $16, 570, 441
Defenseman subtotal $15, 722,00

Contract Total $32, 342, 441
+our top pick $850,000 (Rutherford hoped to draft a player ready to play)

Cap Total $33, 192, 441

+Kaberle Buyout $865,640

Total Bill $34, 058, 081

I shot for the $32 million goal, which I came pretty close if you ignore our newest draftee. I suppose we can slightly overspend this year so we can make the playoffs and generate more revenue and team support. Sorry Peter.

1 Comments:

At 7/31/2005 12:36:00 AM, Blogger d-lee said...

I'm not as optimistic as you are about our chances of getting Aucoin. I wish we could get him, but it doesn't look so good any more.

Your post was written before the acquisitions of C-64 and Hutchinson, so I guess you'd want to revise your D-man FA signings.

Friesen? I don't know...

Looks good, though.

Please stick with the blogging. I love it myself, and It'd be cool to have some other canes out there.

I just recently started my "hockey only" blog at red and black hockey. Unless you have objection, I'll be adding a link to your blog. The return favor would be appreciated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home